Verdicts & Settlements
The firm’s experience in achieving these results demonstrates that we have dedicated many practice years in the gathering and presentation of evidence before judges, juries, administrative courts and arbitration panels. While the facts and applicable law of each case are different, there is a commonality to the investigative techniques, rules of evidence, and presentation skills that form the building blocks of each contested matter.
The results we obtained in each of these cases were based on facts, legal issues, and insurance coverage that were unique to each case. For this reason, you should not assume or expect that we will obtain a result like this in your case. We present this information to show that LaMarca Law Group, P.C., has litigated both large and small cases, complex cases, and cases arising out of a wide variety of factual scenarios. Because each case is significantly different, prior results do not guarantee or predict a similar outcome.
- Personal Injury
- Professional Malpractice (Medical, Legal, Accounting, Other)
- Business Litigation
- Workers’ Compensation
- $4.3 million trial court ruling against the Iowa Department of Transportation for negligent maintenance of a highway resulting in a head-on collision seriously injuring two members of the Drake University women’s basketball team.
- $3,082,500 settlement for 52-year-old single female with no dependents who incurred multiple shoulder, hip, knee and foot fractures in a motor vehicle collision.
- $1.1 million settlement for a 55-year-old woman who received severe crushing injuries to her left leg when struck by a DART bus while she was in the crosswalk at a busy downtown Des Moines intersection.
- $390,000 jury verdict for the estate of a 21-year-old unmarried woman without dependents who was killed in an intersection collision in a rural Iowa county.
- $400,000 jury verdict for 27-year-old male who suffered burns as a result of being struck by a Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Company train as a passenger in an automobile whose driver was attempting to beat train to crossing despite flashing lights.
- $185,000 jury verdict for 35-year-old male who, after consuming alcoholic beverages at a Des Moines area hotel, dove into shallow end of swimming pool that was improperly marked and that had other code violations. Plaintiff suffered whiplash-type injuries without any vertebral fracture or herniation of disks.
- $125,000 jury verdict against oil company for defective safety release valve on above ground petroleum storage tank, which caused air pressure to be released while delivery driver was attempting to refuel tank. Driver suffered back and leg injuries. Driver suffered soft tissue injuries to low back when he lost his balance from the blast of air and fell approximately 15 feet.
- $1.2 million recovery resulting from jury verdict in will contest action that centered over issue of whether or not father or son died first when they were cleaning out a storage tank and were asphyxiated by lack of oxygen.
- Confidential settlement of claim for negligent security against large retail mall owner and security company where video surveillance showed an unattended five-year-old girl playing on an escalator for more than 20 minutes before she fell to her death.
- $2.74 million settlement for a 24-year-old woman who suffered multiple pelvic fractures and a concussion after being run over by a DART bus in downtown Des Moines.
- A multi-million dollar post-jury verdict settlement against 18 manufacturing companies for the families of 10 persons killed in a department store fire, which the jury found to have been caused and spread by defective polyvinyl chloride wire insulation.
- $2,332,500 settlement for 53-year-old single construction worker, no dependents, who lost left leg below knee after being struck by drunk driver who crossed centerline and struck his motor vehicle.
- $1 million policy limit settlement for a 34-year-old unmarried bicyclist who suffered permanent injuries when he was struck from behind by a truck on a rural road.
- $2 million policy limit settlement for 63-year-old man whose lower left leg was severed when he was inspecting his own broken-down tractor-trailer, which was lawfully parked on the shoulder of Interstate 80. Defendant driver, who fell asleep and allowed his unit to go onto the shoulder, had violated hours of service regulations by not taking required off-duty time.
- $220,000 settlement on behalf of the driver of a truck who sustained multiple facial fractures and was life-flighted from the scene when a vehicle heading the opposite direction failed to yield and turned left into his truck.
- $350,000 award by trial judge for a 41-year-old male construction worker who sustained right knee medial meniscus tear and pelvic fracture when the motorcycle he was riding was struck by an oncoming vehicle that turned left into his lane. Damages included an award for past and future medical expenses, past and future physical and mental pain and suffering, past lost wages and partial impairment of future earning capacity.
- $300,000 settlement for a 35-year-old man who suffered post-concussive syndrome and a re-aggravation of a preexisting neck injury after being rear-ended by a drunk driver.
- $1.67 million settlement for an unmarried man with no dependents who suffered non-paralyzing spinal fractures and soft tissue injuries as a passenger in a single-car rollover. Defendants included the driver and owner of the vehicle and the Iowa County Highway Department that negligently maintained the gravel road on which the rollover occurred.
- $75,000 jury verdict for operator of a motor vehicle on I-235 that was struck by flying debris from construction truck, resulting in contusions and bruises to knees and lower legs which healed without incident.
- $800,000 settlement for a 46-year-old woman who suffered fractured lumbar vertebrae without nerve-root impingement while a passenger in a helicopter that experienced engine failure and went into the ocean off Islamorada, Florida.
- $95,000 jury verdict for 27-year-old male bicyclist who struck uneven edge of sewer grate while on city street, resulting in bruises, scrapes and abrasions commonly known as “road rash,” with resulting permanent scarring on right knee and right arm.
- $900,000 settlement for the estate of a 62-year-old truck driver killed when a defectively designed two-story grain bin loaded with six tons of soybeans collapsed on top of his truck while delivering soybeans to a grain elevator.
- $1.6 million settlement to the widow of a 46-year-old grain elevator manager killed by an explosion of grain dust ignited from an electrical short.
- $1.1 million settlement for a 55-year-old woman whose leg was severely injured when she was struck by a DART bus while in the crosswalk.
- $90,000 sett