Des Moines Hospital Malpractice Lawyers
Hospitals occupy an interesting place in American society and in the psychological landscape of people. They represent the destination for the sickest patients and those who suffer from an emergent condition, and so are terrifying because of it. Yet they also stand in the position to treat and heal the people who pass through their doors, making them a bastion of medical hope.
Tragically, in hospitals across the United States, it is conservatively estimated that approximately 100,000 people die each year due to hospital malpractice. The number is staggering, and that does not even include people who suffer nonfatal injuries.
For over 25 years, LaMarca Law Group, P.C. has fought on behalf of thousands of victims of hospital malpractice in Des Moines and throughout Iowa. We are leaders in the legal industry and a proud fixture in the Des Moines community. Our attorneys are winners of the 2006 Public Justice Award, the 2018 Public Service Award, and are recognized by the National Public Justice Foundation for our work defending patient rights and fighting for improved medical standards. LaMarca Law Group, P.C. never wants to see anyone fall victim to hospital errors, but when these tragedies occur we are here to help.
If you or your loved one has suffered injury or illness because of preventable medical errors, then you may be able to pursue financial compensation to address medical bills and other damages resulting from those mistakes. Contact the Des Moines hospital malpractice lawyers of LaMarca Law Group, P.C. at (515) 225-2600 to speak with an experienced attorney committed to offering you the legal representation that you deserve.
Do I Need a Hospital Malpractice Lawyer?
As the victim of hospital malpractice, you are entitled to compensation for your damages. Such damages include medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering expenses, and other costs related to the hospital’s error. Without an attorney representing you, the party liable for your injuries will fight to pay you the least amount of compensation possible. Our attorneys have a deep understanding of the laws in these cases and know how to get compensation for all types of hospital errors.
The attorneys at LaMarca Law Group, P.C. will calculate the damages in your case, gather evidence, determine who should be held accountable for your injuries, and fight for your right to compensation. Let our attorneys work hard on your behalf while you focus on recovery. We can recover more compensation than you would be able to on your own, and with far less stress for you.
Why Choose LaMarca Law Group, P.C. to Handle My Case?
If you’re looking for a hospital malpractice attorney in Des Moines, it’s important to choose a firm with the best attorneys to represent you. The outcome of your case depends on the skills and experience of your attorney. LaMarca Law Group, P.C. stands apart from other firms in Iowa because of our award-winning, nationally-recognized, and community-minded attorneys. LaMarca Law Group, P.C. attorneys are:
- Industry Leaders – The knowledgable attorneys at LaMarca Law Group, P.C. are leaders in the legal industry. Our attorneys share their knowledge by writing books, contributing to legal journals, and teaching classes to law students and legal professionals. Attorney George A. LaMarca helped write The Trial Masters national legal anthology and edited and contributed articles for The Trial Lawyer journal. As professors, our attorneys teach classes at Drake University College of Business and Public Administration and Drake Law School.
- Skilled Litigators – Our attorneys are award-winning trial lawyers who bring our strong trial skills to each case we litigate. Attorney George A. LaMarca has been named Trial Lawyer of the Year and is one of only 25 attorneys in Iowa to have been certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Attorney LaMarca is one of only four attorneys in the state to be a board-certified Trial Attorney by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys. Our attorneys understand the tactics that are necessary for successful litigation.
- Tough and Caring – It takes a unique balance of compassion and grit to get results in hospital malpractice cases. The attorneys at LaMarca Law Group, P.C. have fought to win millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for injured clients. We fight on behalf of our clients while caring about them as victims. In 2006, we received the Public Justice Award for advocating on behalf of patient rights and improving medical standards.
If you want a skilled trial attorney fighting for your rights, contact LaMarca Law Group, P.C. for a detailed initial evaluation of your rights and legal options.
Examples of Hospital Malpractice
The medical conditions with which patients suffer are as varied and unique as the patients themselves. Regrettably, there exists an equally diverse collection of mistakes that the medical professionals may commit in the course of treating the persons in their care and the effects of these mistakes can be lethal. Unfortunately common examples of hospital malpractice include:
- Failure to Diagnose: When doctors fail to diagnose a patient’s condition, the condition will be left untreated, allowing it to worsen. This can have a wide variety of serious consequences, such as creating complications, requiring more expensive or invasive treatments farther down the line, and even causing death. Failure to diagnose can occur when a doctor fails to order the proper tests, misreads tests, or fails to connect symptoms to their cause.
- Improper Diagnosis: Receiving an incorrect diagnosis can be as dangerous, if not more so, than receiving no diagnosis. If you are given the wrong diagnosis, not only will you not receive the treatment that you actually need, but you may also receive unnecessary treatments. Medications and surgeries that you do not need can create serious medical complications, all while the real issue goes untreated. Improper diagnoses can happen when doctors misread tests, fail to order the correct tests, or connect symptoms to the wrong source.
- Failure to Treat: Unfortunately, hospitals often release patients too early in order to free up bed space for new patients. Going home before completely healing or recovering will lead to medical complications down the road. Illnesses and injuries can quickly return, leaving you once again unable to enjoy your life fully. Failure to treat can also occur if your injury or illness is not properly diagnosed.
- Surgical Errors: Removing the wrong organ, amputating the wrong limb, or leaving instruments behind in the body, are instances when victims have the right to seek large amounts of compensation. Surgical errors occur when surgeons and hospital staff fail to follow correct procedure, miscommunicate, or fail to read the patient’s chart.
- Prescription Errors: Hospitals may prescribe a patient the wrong medication, administer a medication that they’re allergic to, or order the wrong dosage amount, often with life-threatening results. Prescription errors can occur when doctors and nurses fail to carefully read the patient’s chart, misread notes from other doctors, or are simply negligent when it comes to administering the medication. If doses are too strong, they may cause health complications, and if they are too low, they may not fix the problem.
- Wrongful Death: Some hospital malpractice cases tragically end in the death of a loved one. If this has happened to your family, you can file a wrongful death claim against the hospital with the help of LaMarca Law Group, P.C.. This is an option whether your loved one passed away at the hospital, or as a result of malpractice at the hospital that occurred earlier.
The Des Moines hospital malpractice lawyers at LaMarca Law Group, P.C. have fought hard to win thousands of cases against hospitals in Iowa for over 25 years. If you are suffering as a result of hospital malpractice, call LaMarca Law Group, P.C. today for a confidential initial consultation.
Faith in the medical system can be shattered by a hospital’s medical errors, and the physical and financial toll can be overwhelming. For help in gaining the resources needed to aid a full recovery, contact the Des Moines medical malpractice lawyers of LaMarca Law Group, P.C. at (515) 225-2600.