Des Moines Multi-Vehicle Accident Lawyers
No one expects to get into an accident when they get behind the wheel of a car – especially not a serious, multi-vehicle accident – but sometimes you’re faced with circumstances beyond your control. For example, if a car swerves into you and causes an accident on the freeway, there’s a chance you may be impacted by yet another vehicle who can’t stop in time to avoid the wreckage.
There are, in fact, numerous scenarios that could lead to a multi-vehicle accident, but the fact is that these types of accidents often lead to severe injuries and damages. You may be struggling not only with your physical recovery but with countless medical bills, lost wages, and very real anxiety about your future.
If you or a loved one have been harmed in a multi-vehicle accident in Iowa, the Des Moines car accident attorneys at LaMarca Law Group, P.C. can help you navigate the legal path ahead of you. Multi-vehicle accidents can be complex, and sometimes it can be difficult to pinpoint fault. We will look at every detail of the accident in order to identify and hold the responsible party accountable for the damages and injuries they have caused. We’ll negotiate assertively for the full compensation you’re due.
Don’t hesitate to seek the help you need. We have been consistently recognized as a “Best Law Firm” by Best Lawyers as a result of the dedication we bring to every case. We win because we care about our clients and give each case our all. Give us a call today at (515) 225-2600 to schedule a free consultation. We also won’t charge you anything unless we win compensation for you.
Types of Multi-Vehicle Accidents
Multi-vehicle accidents occur when more than two vehicles are involved in a collision. Accidents that happen on highways are especially dangerous due to the high speeds involved and often result in pileups, and weather often plays a role in this type of crash, well. There are many factors, however, that could lead to a multi-vehicle crash, such as:
- Rear-end collision: When a driver is rear-ended by another vehicle, they may be pushed into the vehicle in front of them if they’re hit with enough force. Other drivers may not be able to slow down in time to avoid hitting the stopped cars.
- Intersection Collision: When an accident at an intersection occurs, other vehicles approaching the intersection may not be able to avoid the crash.
- Pileups: Multi-car pileup accidents are common in bad weather. When there is ice or snow on the ground, it can be easy to slide out of control and hit a nearby vehicle. When other vehicles attempt to swerve to avoid the crash, they, too, can lose control and add to the pileup.
- Highway Accidents: When an accident occurs on the highway, it can be hard for the fast-moving vehicles approaching the accident to avoid the crash. Because people are traveling at higher speeds, the crashes are often more severe in nature.
- Multiple lane collision: This type of accident can occur when a driver is sideswiped or forced out of their lane in some way and collides right into a third vehicle in the opposite lane.
Causes of Multi-Vehicle Accidents
Whether a driver is distracted on the highway and rear-ends the car in front of them, or they fail to drive cautiously in the snow, there are many reasons for a multi-vehicle accident, such as:
- Driver Distraction: Distracted driving is when a driver’s eyes, hands, or focus is taken away from the task of driving. This may include texting, talking on the phone, eating, shaving, doing makeup, reading, or playing with the radio. These and other distracting activities are very dangerous. According to the NHTSA, 2,841 people were killed in 2018 as a result of distracted driving.
- Tailgating: Tailgating is a leading cause of multi-vehicle pileups. When a driver fails to leave enough distance between their car and the vehicle in front of them, a rear-end collision is more likely. When this type of accident occurs on the highway or in inclement weather, a pileup is often hard to avoid.
- Speeding and reckless driving: When drivers speed, run through stop signs or red lights, race other drivers, or fail to yield the right of way, they pose a danger to all of the other vehicles that surround them.
- Driving under the influence: Drivers driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol are more likely to cause accidents, in general, including multi-car accidents.
- Construction zones: Construction zones can be dangerous. There are normally several people and heavy machinery around, which in of itself is a distraction. There are also possible lane closures or lane diversions that make the area more difficult to navigate, especially if vehicles are traveling quickly on the highway. Swerving, speeding up, and slowing down in these areas can cause an accident involving several vehicles.
- Low Visibility: There are a few conditions that cause low visibility, such as fog, snowstorms, rainstorms, and smoke. When a driver fails to drive cautiously in these conditions, it can result in an accident. What’s more, an approaching vehicle may fail to see the wreck ahead of them and collide with the stopped vehicles.
Liability and Compensation in a Multi-Vehicle Accident
It can be complicated to determine who is liable for multi-vehicle accidents. There is usually a lot of evidence and information to sort through, so hiring an attorney at LaMarca Law Group, P.C. is important.
Our attorneys will launch a thorough investigation into your accident. We will hire expert witnesses as needed, such as accident reconstruction specialists, to help us determine fault and who is ultimately responsible for your injuries and losses.
Once we identify the responsible party or parties, we’ll file an injury claim with their insurance company or companies in order to pursue the maximum compensation available. Some of the types of compensation we may pursue include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income and lost earning potential
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Ambulance fees
- In-home services
Insurance companies are, unfortunately, not looking out for your best interests, and they’ll do everything they can to lowball or even deny your claim. We know all of the tactics they use to minimize your settlement, and we’ll effectively and aggressively pursue the full and fair financial reward you’re owed.
We also prepare every case to go to trial, if necessary, if the insurance company fails to offer you the settlement you deserve. We are a team of experienced trial lawyers, and we’ll be fully prepared to fight for your case in court.
What to Do After a Multi-Vehicle Accident
After being involved in a multi-car accident, there is likely a lot going through your mind. It’s important to stay calm and take a few essential steps to protect your health and also protect your right to full compensation. These steps include:
- Call 911 or law enforcement. If anyone is injured, it’s important to call 911 so that emergency responders can be dispatched to the accident scene. Even if no one appears to be injured, you should call the police. They’ll create an accident report that will provide crucial evidence for your case.
- Obtain the contact and driver’s license information from the other drivers. Also obtain the contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- If you’re able to, document the accident scene. Take photos of the position of the vehicles, the skid marks, the damages, the weather, if relevant, and anything that might pertain to your accident. Also take photos of any injuries.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, it’s important to see a doctor for a medical examination. Adrenaline may mask your pain, and some injuries are difficult to detect, at first, such as head injuries and internal injuries. A doctor may be able to identify and treat injuries promptly to prevent further complications. In addition, the resulting medical records will provide proof that your injuries resulted from your accident.
- Contact an experienced car accident attorney who can pursue your injury claim or lawsuit and fight for the financial recovery you need.
Contact a Multi-Vehicle Accident Attorney in Des Moines
Being involved in a car accident is never easy. You may be grappling with serious injuries as you simultaneously feel the financial strain resulting from your accident. You may not know what your future holds. You don’t have to face these challenges alone. The knowledgeable attorneys at LaMarca Law Group, P.C. know what you’re going through. We’ve helped numerous victims in your situation, and when we take on your case, we’ll be determined to get you the monetary reward you need, so you can focus solely on your health.
You also deserve full compensation to help you through this difficult time. Let the experienced attorneys of LaMarca Law Group, P.C. make your life easier and help you get a fair result. Call us today at (515) 225-2600 to schedule a free consultation.