Des Moines Car Accident Lawyers
Thousands of people in Iowa are injured or killed in car accidents every year. Whether the cause of the collision was due to a driver’s mistake or just plain negligence, the result will most likely be the same. The most minor car accidents may result in extensive injuries, including broken bones, neck and back injuries, brain trauma, or even death.
Being involved in a car accident can completely alter the course of your life. If you or someone close to you has been hurt in a car accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be able to rely on the legal system to obtain the money you need to pay for the costs of your injury. When another party’s irresponsible behavior causes a car accident that injures you, you could be entitled to financial compensation.
The LaMarca Law Group, P.C. has been focusing on getting compensation for those injured by reckless or negligent parties for over 25 years now. We’ve been awarded the Iowa Association for Justice’s 2006 Public Justice Award, and our firm has been recognized as Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” from 2010-2015.
At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., our dedicated car accident lawyers have the experience required to take on your case. Our client advocacy has earned us a great deal of awards and recognition. Best Lawyers named Attorney George LaMarca the 2016 “Lawyer of the Year” in the category of Des Moines Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs. The publication Best Law Firms has recognized our practice for multiple years as a top organization for personal injury cases. Contact our skilled Des Moines car accident attorneys for more information about our services by calling (515) 225-2600 or filling out the quick, easy intake form on our website.
Do I Need a Car Accident Lawyer?
Individuals coping with the aftermath of an accident can feel overwhelmed, and hiring a lawyer can seem like just another source of stress. However, obtaining legal counsel from a skilled car accident lawyer can greatly alleviate many sources of anxiety. An experienced legal team can take on a great many burdens that confront the victims of motor vehicle crashes. For example, a lawyer can help you navigate the nuanced, complex world of insurance claims.
Insurance companies are driven to prioritize their profits over their clients’ needs. Even if you have a clear-cut case, your claim could be denied or reduced for any number of reasons. Having a lawyer represent you means that it’s much more difficult for an insurance company to act unjustly. You can rest assured knowing that your rights are protected and that your best interests are being looked after.
A lawyer can also help you secure any financial compensation you are due if a negligent person or group caused your injury. Under personal injury law, victims of preventable accidents can seek damages from the responsible party. A knowledgeable, tough car accidents lawyer could help you pursue a personal injury case against that driver.
Why Should I Choose LaMarca Law Group, P.C. to Handle my Case?
Our skilled legal team understands that a variety of issues can come up in the aftermath of an automotive accident. Victims struggle with insurance companies to make sure they get the money they need for car repairs. They might also have expensive medical problems to address. Our award-winning firm is a one-stop shop for all of your legal needs. We have attorneys to help you stand firm against insurance companies, and we also offer highly-decorated personal injury lawyers who can pursue financial compensation from any parties responsible for the accident.
Our lawyers have earned an impressive number of recognitions and honors. The Iowa Association of Justice, the National Trial Lawyers for Public Justice Foundation, and Super Lawyers are just a few of the organizations that have recognized the excellence of our practice and our individual attorneys. At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., we don’t just consider ourselves legal professionals—we are advocates for victims who need assistance.
Types of Cases We Handle
LaMarca Law Group, P.C. understands the enormous impact that an auto accident has on a victim’s life – and our attorneys are here to help. Contact our offices to learn more about any of the following:
- Free Auto Accident Investigation
- What to Do After an Auto Accident
- Legal Notice Required before Alcohol Related Suit
Every single car accident is unique and requires a customized legal approach. The strategy used for investigating a potential vehicle defect might not work when it comes to building a case against a drunk driver. At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., we pride ourselves on the depth of our knowledge for a wide range of fields. We are able to take on car accident cases involving:
- Pedestrian accidents: City designers and vehicle drivers alike have a responsibility to pedestrians. An attorney can help fight someone who hurt you.
- Bicycle accidents: Bicycles offer little protection in the event of an accident, and an increasing number of cyclists means that more people will need assistance following a bicycle accident.
- Drunk driving accidents: For years, society has campaigned against drunk drivers, but the number of people who break this law remains high. They are liable for injuries they cause.
- Distracted driving/texting accidents: Distracted drivers, especially those texting on cellphones, are causing many accidents. An attorney can get ensure that they are held accountable for the injuries they cause.
- Rollover accidents: Rollover accidents occur for many unforeseen reasons, and they are particularly dangerous and life-threatening. An attorney can help determine who is at fault.
- Auto defects: We generally trust that auto manufacturers put out safe vehicles, but when manufacturing or design defects lead to injuries and lost lives, the company should be held responsible.
- Speeding accidents: Despite the prominent display of speed limits for the safety of all drivers, many continue to dismiss this one rule, leading to accidents that are extremely preventable and much worse.
- Reckless driving accidents: People who are looking to do anything to shave a few minutes off their commute can be very dangerous and should be held accountable when they cause accidents.
- Road defects: Municipalities have a duty to their citizens to ensure that the roads are safe to drive on. If a road defect led to your accident, the city could be held responsible.
- Insurance claims: You’ve paid into your policy for years and expect that they’ll be there when the time comes. Unfortunately, insurance companies mostly look to line their own pockets and often have to be forced into giving you the compensation you deserve.
- Hit-and-run accidents: If you’re hit by another driver and they flee the scene, it can be a challenge to recover any compensation. We’ll help you track down the other driver and establish liability. If we can’t find them, we can help you file a claim with your own insurance company.
- Rear-end collisions: Even at low speeds, rear-end collisions can cause serious injuries like whiplash and broken bones. Our firm will put together the strongest possible case if you’re hit from behind by a another driver.
Car accidents can occur due to a number of causes, and they can result in many different sorts of legal challenges. A skilled attorney can fight for your rights and safeguard your future by carefully attending to your particular situation and your specific needs.
Iowa “At Fault” Insurance Rules
Iowa is one of the many states that has a rule about which driver is at fault in order to claim damages for insurance. To file a successful claim, a driver must establish that the other driver was at fault for their car accident and injuries. The standard is to use a modified comparative fault system. The person who is seeking compensation must demonstrate that the other party was more at fault in order to obtain a certain percentage of compensation and damages.
For example, damages are reduced by the appropriate percentage of fault. If a person is 25% at fault for a car accident, they would only receive 75% in compensation for their bills and property damage.
How Much Financial Compensation Can I Receive After the Accident?
The answer depends largely on the nature of the crash, the costs of your injuries, and the extent of the property damage caused by the accident. A skilled car accidents lawyer can help you secure compensation to cover costs related to injuries and property damage. You may be awarded damages that will help you pay for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost work wages
- The loss of earning potential
- Physical pain
- Mental anguish
- Physical therapy
Car crashes can be the source of a wide range of expenses for victims beyond those directly associated with an injury. You may also have to handle car repairs and address other types of property damage. Many people look to insurance companies to cover these costs. Unfortunately, these for-profit companies are primarily concerned with their own bottom line and have been known to deny, delay, or unfairly reduce the claims of deserving clients. Hiring a lawyer can help you make sure that you are not treated unjustly as you deal with insurance agents and companies after the accident.
If a loved one has been killed in a traffic accident, we can help assist you with a filing wrongful death. In car accident cases involving wrongful death, you may be eligible for compensation and damages associated with funeral costs, loss of income, and the financial and emotional loss of your loved one.
Vehicle Crashes in Iowa
Driving a motor vehicle is not a right, it is considered a privilege. Drivers have a legal responsibility to, to drive safely and in accordance with traffic laws as well as respect other vehicles, cyclists, and pedestrians. If a car accident occurs due to negligence, driving under the influence of a controlled substance, or because the operator was driving in a reckless manner, the responsible party can be held liable in a civil court for injuries, losses, and expenses that you have sustained.
Car accidents are a leading cause of injuries in the U.S. The metropolitan area around Des Moines tallies a startling number of accidents each and every day. The Iowa Department of Transportation keeps careful track of accidents in order to identify problems and come up with helpful solutions. In the past couple of years, the number of deaths went down with 355 fatal accidents in 2016 and 301 in 2017 in Iowa. However, the number of crashes stayed about the same, with 54,400 accidents on average from 2014-2017. The number of injuries went down from 19,246 in 2016 to 18,705 in 2017.
Iowa Fatalities and Injuries in Car Accidents from 2014-2017
|Year||Fatalities||Fatal Crashes||Injuries||Injury Crashes||Total Number of Crashes|
Accident trends also depend on the time of year. The weather seems to bear a significant impact on when car accidents can happen. Although winter is the most common season for traffic accidents, the severity of the injuries are lower than during other times of the year. The reason is that most drivers operate their vehicles with more caution due to weather conditions, including ice, sleet, and snow. Drivers tend to be more careful and drive with more caution, which reduces the amount of property damage and injuries.
By contrast, when drivers are busy traveling and tend to be more relaxed in the summer months, so some drivers often do not pay close attention and are less aware of their surroundings. These drivers also increase the speed at which they are driving the vehicle, which can result in severe injuries and extensive property damage when a collision happens.
Car crashes happen in a matter of seconds, but their effects can change your life forever. After the horrors of the accident itself, you might find yourself overwhelmed with problems. Injuries caused by vehicular collisions or crashes can be extremely painful and disruptive. Sometimes they require you to make huge, unexpected lifestyle changes. Expensive medical bills can pile up when you seek the treatments you need. On top of everything else, you might have to miss out on work wages or use up your vacation days during your recovery. It’s not unusual for car accident victims to feel anxious and stressed—even hopeless.
At LaMarca Law Group, P.C., our experienced car accident lawyers understand these concerns. We want to fight to get you the financial compensation you deserve so that you can move forward with your life. Our legal team excels in the search for our clients’ deserved compensation, no matter if we’re taking on a massive insurance company or an individual. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you or schedule a free consultation. You can call us anytime at (515) 225-2600 or fill out a short form through our website.