Most personal injury claims are centered on the legal concept of negligence, which occurs when a person fails to take reasonable precautions for a given situation. However, some injuries are caused by deliberate attempts to harm or endanger other people. In civil law, the act of willfully hurting someone is known as intentional tort.
If you or a loved one has been hurt by a careless or malicious party, you could be eligible for financial compensation. To discuss your grounds for legal action with an experienced Des Moines personal injury lawyer, contact the offices of LaMarca Law Group, P.C. at (515) 225-2600.
Why File an Intentional Tort Claim?
You could have grounds for an intentional tort claim if you or a member of your family has been injured by harmful actions such as:
- Domestic violence
- Deliberately reckless behavior (dangerous driving, etc)
- Defamation (damaging someone’s reputation with untrue claims)
- Intentional infliction of emotional distress
Many intentional torts are also criminal acts. If the person responsible for your injuries has already been tried in a criminal court, you still have the option of filing a civil suit against him or her. People choose to pursue civil suits for many reasons, including:
- A lower burden of proof. Civil claims only require a “preponderance of the evidence,” as opposed to proving the defendant’s guilt “beyond a reasonable doubt.” When there is not enough evidence to convict a party in criminal court, victims sometimes use civil courts to continue seeking justice.
- Compensation for injuries. Assault and other crimes can leave victims with reduced earning capacities, staggering medical bills, and many other losses. Criminal convictions do nothing to help them cope with these problems.
With the help of a skilled Des Moines intentional tort lawyer, the plaintiff in an intentional tort case can be compensated for financial losses, pain and suffering, and potentially more.
The Des Moines intentional tort attorneys of LaMarca Law Group, P.C. strive to provide excellent legal services for each of our clients. Contact our offices at (515) 225-2600 for the assistance you need and deserve.